.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Big All-In-One Multitool?

Dear Ferfal,
I like reading your posts. It's because they are sensible, practical and guided by real-world experiences.
I recently came across a Multi-tool that packs in a lot of essentials and is now in Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1349260918/combartm-an-incredibly-rugged-heavy-duty-multi-too?ref=checkout_rewards_page.
Unlike stuff like the Leatherman (Got a Wave based on your recommendation), I get the feeling that big essentials are best separate so as to be good at their job - rather than have a single tool trying to do it all.
What do you think about this development?
Cheers,
-Vivek
.
Thanks for your email, Vivek.
Man, you put me in that position. I do respect my readers greatly so I’ll give you an answer.
Honest opinions sometimes get people upset tough. I know someone involved in the design and creation of this tool will end up reading this and will quickly reply with some angry email.
Keep in mind it’s nothing personal.
My opinion? I agree with you 100%. Too much of a gimmick. Its big, bulky and weights 3.2 pounds. The Becker BK9 is a 9 inch heavy duty knife, 1095 Cro-Van steel and weights 1.05 pounds. Sure, its not a shovel, or a hammer or a saw, but it does excel as a big knife, which is by far the most important tool you need for outdoors survival, and it can chop anything that tool can. You can also pry, dig and hammer with a good big blade like that and it costs $89.99 vs $359.
Ka-Bar Becker BK9 Combat Bowie Fixed Blade Knife
If I need a spade type mutitool then guess what, the military already invented that, its called an Entrenching tool or E-tool. Its an actual mil-spec, proven tool and you can get one for 40 bucks or so. It’s clearly a better spade, probably chops and hammers just as well too and does so at about 2.5 pounds. If a saw is something you really want, then the Glock etool comes with one in the handle.
Gerber E-Tool Folding Spade, Serrated Edge [30-000075]
You mention buying a Leatherman Wave based on my recommendations. You probably know how well the saw in that tool works, as does the folding knife. Its not a spade or an axe but then again it comfortably fits in your pocket! I’ve used the blade in my Charge and Wave plenty and it always gets the job done, and the saw is just great. I’ve used it to cut 2” branches and 2x4s many times.
This tool seems like the answer to a question no one ever wanted.
If I want a handy jack of all trades and master of none tool then I just carry a multitool in my pocket, like I’ve been doing for years. I could never have that thing with my all day, 24/7.

“But its for the great outdoors…”

Ok, if I’m going to the great outdoors I always make sure I have a good large knife.

“But the spade and hammer and axe…”

During an emergency I can dig, chop and hammer with a good blade. If I need more than that and I’m already driving around in a pick up truck, then why exactly don’t I have with me dedicated tools? If I’m a survivalist heading to the wild, why don’t I have a hatchet or etool? I keep one of these in my vehicle survival kit along with a good knife, multitool, tool box and hammer. Why would I carry this big all-in-one in my car over cheaper, better, dedicated tools?
Hope that answered your question.
FerFAL
Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

longtime reader first time poster.
I agree with Ferfal.
that multitool ( est retail price $800 !!! ) is just a yuppy gimmick.
--
so, lets get real.
--------------------------
Get COMBAR Pro - the ultimate heavy-duty 5-in-1 multi-tool
Includes the COMBAR knife and saw.Will retail for $799
Includes:
COMBAR Pro
COMBAR Magazine Insert
Lifetime Warranty
Estimated delivery Dec 2018
----------------------------
Or I CAN GO TO THE HARDWARE STORE (or even walmart) RIGHT NOW AND BUY
- gerber axe and saw 1.75 pounds under $40
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Gator-Combo-Axe-22-41420/dp/B000C0RKYM
- buck 119 knife .5 pounds ~ $40
ttl 2.25 lbs, $80

I never needed a full shovel when on foot but when needed carried a folding military surplus shovel, like Ferfal recommends.
=======================================
and then still have $700 left over for a good pistol, shotgun and ammunition.