.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Silly gimmick or wise addition? : 10 uses for the EDC Prybar



I think it has a place, yes even these tiny ones that look like a joke.
The logic behind it?  I have a small, Pico prybar in my keychain for all those prying, poking or scrapping tasks where most people would usually end up using their blades, often breaking the tip in the process.

Small Swiss Army knife blades such as the Minichamp I keep in my keychain make poor prying tools so I use it exclusively for cutting. Here is where these tiny prybars come in handy. They are surprisingly study and practical in spite of their small size.

For years I kept a Boker Vox prybar. The Boker Vox is a nice tool but a tad big  for an already loaded up keychain. Today, I keep a Pico in my keychain. Its about the size of a small key anyway and has come in handy enough times to earn its place there.

You also have generic, affordable 3" versions.
Like small P38 can openers, small prybars have a number of uses:

1) Prying of course. Any stuck drawer, box, etc.
2) Scrapping paint gun, anything you’d use your nails or some small scrapping tool for.
3) Cutting. I use mine frequently for opening boxes and packages, especially when in public and I don’t want to bring out a knife. I’ve sharpened it enough to open stuff but not cut without using force.
4) Screwdriver, works well as a big flat screwdriver.
5) Pulling nails. Yup, the tiny tool can do it with most nails you come across.
6) Opening paint cans and other sturdy lids. Works nice for this.
7) I’ve used it for scrapping stuff from my shoes. Little pebbles that get in there. Since its in the keychain already its convenient for this.
8) The V notch can be used for stripping wires.
9) The V notch or hole can be used for bending wire, even small nails.
10) Scratching and marking on both wood and metal.

FerFAL

Fernando “FerFAL” Aguirre is the author of “The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse” and “Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying is not an Option”

No comments: